Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dear Jack: Month 3

You got heart and you’re going your own way…
July 27, 2011
Dear Jack,
You have reached you’re three month birthday and may I share a little secret with you? You are the most awesome person I have ever met (your daddy is right up there too)! You, my son, are the most wonderful thing to happen to us.  Something has occurred in you in your third month of life that has changed everything…your personality showed up to play, in a big way. You are a happy little fellow and you love to charm your way through our days.
Your third month has been a busy one and a bit of a roller coaster for your mama. I share this because being honest with you is very important to me. Someday, way in the distance, you may have your own children and may feel overwhelmed by your new, magical life as a parent. I want you to know that your parents were once on their own learning curve. Life’s twists and turns challenge us, keep life interesting and make us appreciative when the road is straight and smooth. The adjustment to parenthood hit me in a big way this month. I decided to change jobs, which had a big impact on our little family and made for a few stressful weeks. Interviews and appointments gave you an opportunity to spend some quality time with some of your loving relatives. Your Nana Lala (my mama) has been babysitting you at least once a week. Uncle Matthew and Aunt Andrea also came over to take care of you. You LOVE spending time with them and I think they have a nice time too (actually, I think they really LOVE getting you to themselves, so it is a win, win). Though you were in the best hands and we had so much help from our lovely family this month, I missed you and our little routine. Mama found her stride balancing everything towards the end of the month and we started to have our rhythm back, it just looks a bit different. Instead of lounging around the house, we now travel everywhere together. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
It is amazing how a baby can bring so many people together. You continued to have many visitors and visits with people this past month. Your Nana Lala’s friends came from warm places to visit and shower you with love. Your Auntie Dana drove up from California to dote upon you. You loved her and boy, did she love you! Nana Lala’s friend, Ellen, flew in from Florida to visit with your Nana and we crashed their party one afternoon. You went out to lunch and walked up and down Hawthorne, it was a lovely afternoon with wonderful women. While out to lunch a proud mother came over to tell us she also had a beautiful redhead. Redheads need to stick together. Auntie Colleen came down for a visit with her sister, Megan and we had so much fun hanging out. We love to visit with the Lawson clan too and spend many Sundays lounging around with your grandparents, aunties, uncle and all of the doggies.
These were some of your amazing accomplishments this past month:
  • You have been kicking your legs like crazy. Mostly just to kick, but sometimes you kick to show approval, often followed by a squeal of delight.
  • You have a very firm grip and study your hands intently for many minutes at a time. Rattles, rings and pacifiers are all within your reach now. You can even put your pacifier into your mouth!
  • It amazes us how many sounds you have found. You can now say, “ha”, “ggg” and love to exclaim, “howow”
  • Rolling from side to side is a daily exercise for you.
  • Your laugh has made a few appearances. It is the oddest little giggle, it makes us laugh until tears flow.
  • You go everywhere: restaurants, meetings, stores, parks, you name it, you can go there and handle the new and different environments beautifully.
Some of your favorites from Month 3:
  • Though you still have an affinity for a good beat, we are trying to wean you off some of the more salacious hip-hop songs. Instead Mama is exposing you to some of her faves from her junior high years. You love the song, “Stay” by Lisa Loeb. Your Mama sings it over and over again just to keep that goofy grin on your face. Not sure the neighbors love it as much as you.
  • We have a small play “gym” that has a few hanging toys and a mirror. You spend what seems like hours on that mat staring at your fist as you try to touch the hanging rings. You also love to talk to that little cutie in the mirror. You think he is the bees’ knees.
  • You love to go on car rides when your mama or papa sits in the back with you. We like it too.
  • Evening strolls have become a new favorite of yours, especially as the days get warmer. You like to snuggle up to Mama in the Ergo and take in the shadows of the trees.
  • In the mornings we cuddle and then you hang out in your crib and I help you roll back and forth. You think this is the funniest thing ever and have even let out a laugh or two as we roll. It probably helps that I sing, “Shake, shake, shake; shake, shake shake; shake your booty.” Mornings are your favorite, they are mine too.
Most afternoons we sit on the floor or I hold you in my arms and we have a singing party. There is a special sing aloud mix for you. I look at you and you look at me. I sing to you and you sing to me. Your favorites this month are Lisa Loeb, Regina Spektor, Ray Charles and Matisyahu. When you start to rub your eyes and signal to me that you are ready for your four o’clock feeding and subsequent nap, I play one last song, “L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N” by Noah and the Whale. There is a lot in the song that has yet to apply to you and some that may never, but there is one line that I belt out to you, “You got heart and you’re going your own way.” We look deep into each other’s eyes and you smile back at me when you hear this. I know somewhere in you, you are getting the message I want you to carry with you your entire life: follow that beautiful heart of yours and never be afraid to go your own way.

This life we lead together in our little family of four includes so much singing, swaying and smiling. I have never been more exhausted or more content. You make my heart soar Mr. Jack Milton.

I love you this much (arms spread as wide as they can be),
Mama B

No comments: