Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's Not All Cute

Jack is definitely the cutest baby around (I am the mom, I get to say this without apology), but there were a few things that popped up in the first three months of infancy that have kind of grossed me out. Babies are brand new humans. They are supposed to be pristine, perfect, delightful in every way, right? Wrong: newborns have some weird body issues. How come no one ever told me about these?!? Well, maybe a few of you shared this information, but I chose to tune out. Sort of like I did when people shared the gory details about birth and pregnancy. Unfortunately, denial does not equate to avoidance. Here are a few strange baby issues I encountered and a few remedies that worked for us:

Weird Issue #1: Baby acne
That wild hormone trip did not go away after I gave birth, in fact, it seemed I passed some of my weird hormones onto my son (sorry Son). Hormones + baby boys = baby acne
My beautiful baby boy woke up one day (many years before his awkward teenage phase) with red baby acne.
Solution: Oddly enough, breastmilk! Apparently breastmilk is like windex, it cures everything. You just apply a little (or in our case, a lot) on your baby's skin and within a few days it is back to its glowing newborn beauty. P.S. You can also put breastmilk on scratches and they will heal overnight. Liquid gold my friends, liquid gold.
 
Weird Issue #2: Cradle Cap
Ewwweeee, cradle cap is Yuck (did you catch that capital "Y"?). While admiring Jackaroo's beautiful red hair one day I spotted some yucky, flaky skin. It is like the king of dandruff and it does not go away easily, but there is a...
Solution: Slather baby oil on baby's scalp and then cover with a cap (hehe, get it cradle cap?) overnight while the litte one sleeps (my friend Tracy told me about this one).

Weird Issue #3: Pulsating head
Did you know you could see a baby's pulse through the soft spot on their head? Clueless mama over here. The first time someone pointed this out to me I couldn't believe it and actually had to look away. Glad Jack's pulse is healthy, don't want to see it on his head, it's creepy.
Solution: Avert your eyes and wait for that fragile soft spot to close up.  
It is a good thing this little boy looks adorable in a cap.


No comments: